Sunday, May 4, 2014

Our Last Day

Monday, April 28th, 2014
Day 52
The last day's ride was a very short 43 mile run from Palatka to St Augustine. While trying to stay out of the traffic on FL 207 we rode through some lush farm country and past the beautiful old St. Ambrose Catholic Church. Since everyone rides at their own pace, we had a rendezvous set up for 1:30 on A1A over in St Augustine Beach so since I arrived about ten, I wandered around the old part of St Augustine remembering all the 4th grade Florida History trips we took here with the kids and Victoria's and my recent trip here with Maggie when she was a Senior at UF.

While sightseeing and walking around old town I found myself answering questions from total strangers who had read my jersey that says:

Coast 2 Coast
2014
San Diego to St Augustine

I guess they saw me in St Augustine walking around with that jersey on and a pretty dirty bike so were wondering if I had actually done what the jersey implied. It was interesting to see their reaction to telling them, yes, I had just ridden almost three thousand miles from California on the bicycle.... ;-)
Heck, I even got some compliments on my legs!

I was still reminiscing about the kids' field trips in this great little town when Victoria arrived from Ft Lauderdale and called so we met up at a coffee shop till it was time to ride to the beach en mass..

I left at 1 and rode to the rendezvous while V drove to the hotel to take pics of our arrival and the classic, end of the ride, touring cyclist's "wheel dipping ceremony" of putting the front wheel into the waters of the Atlantic Ocean.

Not only was trying to get everyone organized for the photos like herding cats but it also it took forever to make all the necessary introductions! After 52 days with the group, I wanted Victoria to understand who the people were, especially the people I spent most of my time with.
The guys I rode with most (here with their real names for a change) were Roland Provost, "RO" Robert Loving, and "PW" Pete Wolter.  This was RO's third time doing this exact trip and he and Roland did it together in 2011. These guys were a great source of laughter, information, and help to me on the ride. I also spent a lot of time going very fast and laughing a ton with Scott Bridge (our token Canadian resident/Aussie), "Montana" Mike Owen, and "Chicago" Mike McCabe. Truly great guys all.

We finally got to our room and I got cleaned up for the banquet/dinner across the street at the Sunset Grille. We had a nice seafood dinner sitting with Roland, RO and PW then headed to the pool area for a final gathering and usual group foolishness.

Tuesday morning will be a zoo. Most folks are leaving by air and need to have their bikes boxed and shipped before they leave. Since Victoria drove up in our Highlander with my Thule 4 bike rack on it,  I have volunteered my services for any bike transport needed.  Assuming, of course, I can remember how to drive! ;-) Its been two months since I have driven a car!! Heck, I've only ridden in cars twice in two months since I left San Diego!
Since V has a week off, we will stay here on the beach for a few days then head home to the usual civilized chaos and confusion...
I think I like it better on the bike.....
St Ambrose Catholic Church


hahahahahahaha... been here a few times
Together again after two months! 

headed over the Bridge of Lions to the beach
ALMOST DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arriving at the beach

my other, far prettier, support crew





L-R Mike McCabe, Scott Bridge, Mike Owen and me

PW, me and Hans

me, Mike Owen and Scott Bridge

Everybody!

L-R  RO, Roland, me and PW
My all-time, anywhere, favorite ride group!


all cleaned up and ready to party...  well, ready for dinner at least

After everybody left

Saying goodbye at the Bridge of Lions



2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Doug! It is quite an achievement and I am very impressed. In reading your blog could tell you were having a great time. I am thrilled for you and glad that you are home again. Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg!
      I had a great time and would/will do it again!
      A different (Northern maybe?) route and different version of support but definitely would like to repeat a Coast to Coast trip.
      Doug

      Delete